“Baat chalat nayi chunari rang dari” from the film Ladki (1953) is one song which is purely classical and is very well appreciated even by those who understand the finer details of the classical music. This song is a perfect example of Geeta Dutt's smooth and lilting rendition.
The song happens to be in the raag Bhairavi. In those days, all songs had to be compressed in a time span of barely three minutes and 20 seconds. In this short duration, this is a most complete enunciation of the complete raag--vilambit, drut and taraana. It can be safely said that it would be hard to find another Bhairavi number that encompasses a more or less complete enunciation in 3.20 minutes.
Geeta Dutt has another sweet classical based song in Jeevan Jyoti (1953) composed by Sachin Dev Burman. The song is 'Lag gayi ankhiyan tumse mori'. It uses a rare raag like Multani in an effervescent song. This is a duet with Mohd Rafi.
The real assets of Geeta’s singing were her ability to catch the perfect mood of the song and getting the right feeling. Hence in spite of the fact that her singing does not offer a very high classical base, her songs have indeed become immortal.
Here is a small list of her songs based on Ragas:
Film Name --- MD ------Song -------------------------------------- Raag
(1) Baazi - S D Burman - Aaj Ki Raat Piya Dil Na Todo - Raag : Pahadi
(2) Ladki - R. Sudarshanam, Dhaniram - Baat Chalat Nayi Chunari Rang Dari- Raag : Bhairavi
(3) Aasman - O P Nayyar - Dekho Jadu Bhare More Naina - Raag : Gaur Sarang
(4) Jogan - Bulo C Rani - Eri Main To Prem Divani - Raag : Todi
(5) Chhoo Mantar - O P Nayyar - Gharib Jaan Ke Ham Ko Na Tum daga Dena - Raag : Bhairavi
(6) Jogan - Bulo C Rani - Ghoonghat Ke Pat Khol Re - Raag : Darbari Kanada
(7) Jis Desh Main Ganga Behti Hain - Shanker Jaikishen - Hai Aag Hamare Sine Mein - Raag : Bhairavi
(8) Mangala - M D Parthasarathi, B S Kalla - Jhananana Jhan - Raag : Brindavani Sarang
(9) 12 O'Clock - O P Nayyar - Kaisa Jadoo Balama Tune - Raag : Pilu
(10) Insan Aur Insan - Ratandeep Hemraj - Lat Uljhi hain Suljha - Raag : Kafi
(11) Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam - Hemant Kumar - Na Jao Saiyan Chhuda Ke Baiyan - Raag : Pilu
(12) Mr and Mrs 55 - O P Nayyar - Pritam Aan Milo - Raag : Kalyan
(13) 12 O'Clock - O P Nayyar - Tum Ho Jo Mere Hamsafar - Raag : Pahadi
(14) Ab Dilli Door Nahin - Dattaram - Ye Chaman Hamra Apna Hai - Raag : Kalyan